Saturday, April 26, 2003

Ok, I lied: Here's Paul Cella, on the uproar (now entering minute twelve of its fifteen minutes of fame -- can anyone say "steel tariffs"?) over Santorum and his entirely defensible position:

With characteristic brilliance, the framers perceived that such an itemized "free speech" clause (I’ll use that phrase as a shorthand for the bevy of rights encompassed by the First Amendment) would actually injure liberty, not secure it; it would effect not an expansion of individual freedom but a diminution. The reasoning is simple, if counterintuitive: By enumerating precisely what government cannot do, one installs within the very fabric of the Constitution the dangerous assumption that government is authorized to do everything else.
I couldn't say it so well if my life... well, ok, I could say it that well if my life depended on it, but for anything short of that, forget it.

Read the whole thing.

No comments: