Saturday, June 21, 2003

Arguably one of the most depraved things I've seen recently is the paeans to Warren Zevon, who, with due respect to a dying man, wrote filth like this.

Lest you think I'm some sort of Tipper Gore-ish creature, prudishly eschewing the slightest hint of controversial lyrics, here is a brief sampling from my current play list:

Tha Dogg Pound (Dogg Food)

2Pac (All Eyez on Me, Me Against the World, The Don Killuminati)

Warren G (Regulate, Take a Look Over Your Shoulder)

Master P (Make Em Say Uhh!, If I Could Change)

Stabbing Westward (Wither Blister Burn & Peel)

Korn (Korn)

(Never, ever to appear on my play list, by the way: East Coast [c]rap, Rage Against the Machine, The Beastie Boys, White Sellout Zombie, Metallica after the Black Album.)

Point is, I can take, and frequently enjoy, lyrics that I wouldn't dream of letting my kids hear. But an "anthem" about a rapist is just a teeeeeeensy bit much, y'know? And lauding such a man should be outside the bounds of human decency.

No comments: