Thursday, April 03, 2003

I was having a really lousy day before I read this:

Incensed fans walked out of Pearl Jam's concert Tuesday after lead singer Eddie Vedder impaled a mask of President Bush on a microphone stand, then slammed it to the stage.

Most of Vedder's antiwar remarks earlier in the Pepsi Center show were greeted with mixed cheers and scattered boos. But dozens of angry fans walked out during the encore because of the macabre display with the Bush mask, which he wore for the song Bushleaguer, a Bush- taunting song from the band's latest album, Riot Act.

"When he was sharing his political views in a fairly benign manner - supporting our troops, opposing policy - that's OK," said Keith Zimmerman, of Denver.

"When he takes what looks like the head of George Bush on a stick, then throws it to the stage and stomps on it, that's just unacceptable. I love Pearl Jam, but that was just way over the edge. We literally got up and left."
Why did this put me in such a good mood, you might ask?

Because...

Pearl Jam sucks.

That's it! Finally, some moron left-wing entertainer whom I didn't like anyway, not named Streisand or Affleck, self-destructs! It's awesome!

[Pearl Jam has sucked, by the way, since the early Nineties. I've always been pleased with the way they flushed themselves down the toilet in the mid- to late-nineties with that string of (unusually) unlistenable albums. Now that their lyrics have ascended to lounge singer ridicule:

[T]he lyrics of "Bushleaguer," [] in part call Bush "a confidence man" and say, "He's not a leader / he's a Texas leaguer."
...I can be even happier!

"A Texas Leaguer?" What the hell does that mean? That he plays Class AA Baseball? That he's got a wicked slider, good heat, and a serviceable change, but they're trying to build up his endurance? That Eddie Vedder is blessedly approaching that mini-Eschaton I like to call "heroin overdose"? (Yes, I'm in a snippy mood today.)

To my friends from college who liked Pearl Jam, no matter how crappy the music got -- I'm looking at you, Matt -- HAHAHAHAHAHA!!]

No comments: